Tuesday 16 July 2013

The Gentry Troll


Ok so the insanely observant among you may notice I have a new profile picture which is the little fella above. Now Im not at all happy with how this turned out in terms of quality as its very clearly a few pictures plopped together not very cleverly using adobe illustrator (a program I had never used before creating this), but its something I've wanted to depict since coming up with the name of this blog and I couldn't resist showing it.

So here it is, the pretty feeble first attempt to give you an idea of what I had pictured in my head when I came up with the idea of a "Gent Turning Troll". Im aware its in fact a troll with some gentry clothing and therefore sounds like the wrong way around, but in my head it works, and let me explain. I may one day transform into a full blown Norwegian (the troll) but I have no doubt I will always hold my own culture, beliefs and all the many facets of myself that culminated from growing up on the shores of Britain. So where as I may appear Norwegian to many and blend in well with great Norwegian and live in a wooden painted house and own a cabin in the county, I will still very clearly be something else. I will not be an English gent carrying skis and wearing a Norwegian wool jumper like a tourist, I will be a Norwegian Troll dressed in British Black Tie attire very clearly reminding the Norwegians that I am still me, and reminding those back home that I always will be. Its a strange metaphor and I really hope it makes some sense to others as I have made it do so in my head

I should say that I will be working on a much better version of this at some point but essentially the basic idea is very much there, a troll in a bowtie, tophat and a monacle. One day, if my assimilation goes as planned and I can either create or have someone create one for me, I may even get this as a tattoo. Anyone who thinks that is strange please follow the link below to a pots about my first tattoo for some context.
http://gent-turning-troll.blogspot.no/2012/02/mario-bros.html


No comments:

Post a Comment