Monday 13 February 2012

Jeg Elsker Deg

Being Valentines day tomorrow and just passing the one year mark since we met (11/2) I feel this is a good time to talk more about my beautiful girlfriend Marianne, so here is the story of how we met.

After a hard Friday nights work one year ago I decided against my better judgement to meet some mates at the student union bar. I quickly regretted this after getting their to find everyone already battered, I rapidly worked my way through a few drinks to get in the spirit and wondered round a bit debating whether or not to cut my loses and call it a night.

Then out of nowhere someone grabs my hand and starts dancing with me. This what not just anyone it was a stunning brunette with a beaming smile and not just any dancing, she was actually trying to swing dance with me. Fortunately a very close old friend of mine is a dancer and I had seem him perform 'Rock and Roll' several times and I was capable of holding my own. I never would have thought that I would need this knowledge to woo my soul mate but it does appear that that was the case. 

After a bit more messing about dancing eventually I insisted she come outside with me so I could find out who this mysterious, swing dancing beauty was. I introduced myself as a 21 year old from near London, doing a business degree and in my third year at the uni thinking it all sounded pretty good. I was then embarresingly put in my place when I discovered she was older, doing a masters, and had come over from Norway and had been in Chester a few months. I was instantly aware that this basically made her ten times more interesting than me in every way however she wasn't put off and I was even more fascinated. 

We clicked instantly and then two days later (Valentines Day) we had our first proper date, which was a pizza, wine and film session at her place. The more we spoke the more perfect it all became. We got on so well from the word go, I still genuinely find it difficult to believe how I managed to find such a gorgeous, intelligent, funny girl better than any 'Dream Girl' I could have imagined. 

This has become quite a long story now so I will Epilogue, we spent pretty much all our spare time together, found ourselves moving in together almost by accident a few months later and we have been and still are as sickeningly in love as ever a year on. I know its only been a year but it feels like a only a week and a lifetime all at once and I cant imagine it ever being different. 

"Jeg Elsker Deg" is Norwegian for "I love you" and was the first Norwegian phrase I learnt. Also still the one I use most often.

1 comment: