Sunday 29 January 2012

Pål's Birthday

Today is Pål's birthday, he is Mariannes, sisters boyfriend, and a legend of a bloke. This gives me a nice excuse to finally move onto something Norwegian, after all that is meant to be the point.


Pål's name (the Norwegian equivalent to Paul) was one of my first introductions to the strange world of the Norwegian alphabet. Well not that strange its only an extra three letters but to me a man who cant speak a double figure amount of words in any language but his own it was a bit of a mind melt. The letter Å/å is not a natural sound to make for an Englishman and something I had to practice an embarrassing amount. Not to mention the almost overwhelming desire to just say 'Pal' as that would be a pretty awesome name if you ask me. A phrase book I found months later described the sound as like the 'o' in lord, which is close but still a fair bit off the money especially in my southern accent
.
I believe my past and current struggle with the Norwegian language will take up a large proportion of this blog as it is my main concern on a daily basis. For now I will just end by saying, I am trying hard and learning slowly, one badly pronounced word at a time.


Hadet Bra
(Goodbye)

No comments:

Post a Comment